Mobile Phone Policy
Charlton-on-Otmoor C.E. Primary School
The welfare and well-being of our pupils at Charlton-on-Otmoor C.E. Primary School are paramount. This policy on the use of mobile phones in school and whilst with children has been drawn up in the best interests of pupil safety and staff professionalism.
Use of mobile phones
- Pupils are not permitted to have mobile phones at school or on trips
- In the rare event of a parent wishing for his/her child to bring a mobile phone to school to contact the parent after school:
- the parent must inform the school
- the phone must be handed in, switched off, to the reception office first thing in the morning and collected from the office by the child at home time (the phone is left at the owner’s own risk).
- Mobile phones brought to school without permission will be confiscated and must be collected by the parent.
- Staff must have their phones on ‘silent’ or switched off during class time.
- Staff may not make or receive calls during teaching time. If there are extreme circumstances (eg. acutely sick relative) the member of staff will have made the headteacher aware of this and can have their phone in case they have to receive an emergency call.
- Otherwise, use of phones must be limited to non-contact time when no children are present.
- Phones must be kept out of sight (eg. drawer, handbag, pocket) when staff are with children.
- Apart from in the exceptional circumstances described above, calls/ texts must be made/ received in private during non-contact time.
- Phones will never be used to take photographs of children or to store their personal data.
Volunteers, Visitors, Governors and Contractors
All volunteers, visitors, governors and contractors are expected to follow our mobile phone policy as it relates to staff whilst on the premises.
On arrival, such visitors will be informed of our expectations around the use of mobile phones.
We ask all parents that mobile phone use be kept to a discrete minimum while on school premises. While phones may be used to photograph or record school events, we remind you that any footage containing children other than your own should not be published online – e.g. on social networking sites - as this helps us to maintain the safety of all our pupils. Thank you for your cooperation in these matters.
We very much appreciate our parents’ support in implementing this policy in order to keep your children/ our pupils safe.